Thursday, January 17, 2013

Check this New Cheechako Review!

From start to finish, this book was a pleasure to read. Cheechako is fantastic! In the first chapter, I wanted to strangle the bullies that made life miserable for Will. The descriptions of Alaska, especially the harsh realities of a sub-zero blizzard in the wilderness were gripping. Stratman has a gift of writing so naturally that the words just flow from his pen. I hope Jonathan Thomas Stratman writes more and I'm watching for a sequel!  Eric Brewster

Thanks Eric. Great review. 

Advice to writers always starts with "write what you know." 

Of course any of us who have taught writing have had earnest students scratch their heads and say (seriously) "...but I don't know what I know." 

And they're not wrong. But there are different kinds of knowing. Young students often get "knowing" confused with how many facts they can store. 

In writing, this kind of knowing is not so much facts as what you see when you close your eyes. The familiar and unique landscape of your mind and memory. 

After all these years, when I close my eyes, I can still see Nenana, Alaska as it was in my first view as I stepped down from the train, now more than fifty years ago. It has remained vivid through a number of my Cricket Magazine stories and two full novels, with two more on the way. 

So, what remains vivid for you? And what are you waiting for. Write about it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment