Thursday, April 14, 2016

Who wants to read a book without a gadget?

Don't get me wrong.

I love computers. I love getting the occasional email from a real person, love hearing that some African person wants to send me millions, and am even fond of FaceBook. With FB particularly, I like that friends and family, people I admire and am however connected to, choose and present bits of news, art or info they think I might like. And I often do. 

So that out of the way, I'm not a complete 
Luddite. 

But as a writer—computers and gadgets in stories—not so much. 

Living by wits!

I'm on page 156 of my newest book. I think it's called "The Taking of GrayGhost Island." It is my 8th novel (four published, three on the way) and takes place on Puget Sound just after WWI and somewhat before computers.

I enjoy ... not always exactly true ... writing these books, and certainly enjoy when people write, call or step up to tell me how much they've enjoyed them. I love the reviews! Thanks to all of you who have or will submit one.

It's a lonely process but I'm okay with that. I sit in my chair, research, imagine and type. I learn things. Like, the United States was one of the last countries to adopt commercial toilet paper, and that around 1900. And one big problem with early toilet paper was splinters. I won't tell you why I needed to know that, you'll have to read the book. 

But back to topic, there are no computers, or GPS units, cellphones, or any other of today's gadgets in any of my tales told of yesterday's adventures. 

Here's the problem.

Is it a problem? You decide. If your child or grandchild asks you a question, how do you answer? Most of us grab some form of computer and look it up. Driving across town? Do we take out a map and master it? No, the computer tells us. In my stories, adults and children have to figure it out, and gut it out. They have to practice to perfect skills, take chances, fail or nearly fail ... sometimes lose ... sometimes struggle to survive.

It may read like fiction, but it never reads like virtual.

(You can read 30 pages of any of my books free!)
Find them here:
http://thebookspot.org/jonathanstratmanbooks




1 comment:

  1. I have read all of Jonathan Thomas Stratman's published books and have enjoyed everyone of them. I am waiting for the next one. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete